Learning about what we are yet to undergo is something necessary. The frauds happening in the medical industry these days have stimulated the need for the people undergoing surgeries and treatments to know about the process, procedures, and risks in depth. So, with this being said, here are certain important information, risks & complications involved in the overall process of the surgery of hip Arthroplasty.
Basics of total hip replacement:
Ever experienced pain in your hips while doing regular activities like bending down to pick something or wearing your pants/socks, shoes? Well, on having the pain, you may always come to a conclusion it would get better as the day proceeds. But, if the pain persists for a few days, it is highly recommended that you consult a doctor.
- Osteoarthritis – is a common problem for people above 50 years of age.
- Avascular necrosis – being an issue where lack of blood may cause the bone to dislocate or collapse.
- Hip disease from childhood – this may be something genetic or persistent from childhood for an infant.
The aforementioned are some cases where you would be requiring the total hip replacement surgery in your body.
A procedure of the surgery:
Here are the procedure and the components of what is done in the surgery
- The cartilage and damaged bone are removed and replaced using the prosthetic components, as done in most orthopedic surgery.
- The two basic components involved in the prosthesis would be the ball part and the socket part. It is regarded that you would either be cemented with the components or be a press fit type where the bone is allowed to grow on the components. This is decided based on the quality and strength of your bone.
- Firstly, the damaged head is replaced with a metal system that is placed in the center of the femur. Further, the ball being ceramic or metal is placed on the upper side of the stem above the metal system.
- On the other side, the cartilage surface which has been damaged is replaced with a socket for holding the ball.
This would be the basic process of the surgery, after which you would be taken to the observation room and kept under observation until the effect of anesthesia goes down and your heart rate, blood pressure, etc. becomes normal.
Complication and Risks involved in the surgery
There are very few complications involved in the surgery. And a fact about these complications is that there are only 2 percent chances of this taking place during or after the surgery. But, these are possible under certain circumstances like chronic illness. There are chances that these complications may have an impact on your recovery. Some of the basic complications are listed –
- Infection – every surgery done in the world has this complication. With regard to the total knee replacement, minor infections are treated very quickly, while the major infections require some focused attention and may even lead to a removal of the prosthesis.
- Dislocation or loosening of the prosthesis – there are cases where the implanted prosthesis may dislocate itself or loosen upon. In this case, the incision has to be made again and it has to be operated for the second time.
- Nerve and blood vessel injury may take place which may increase the pain and the period prescribed for recovery from the surgery.
- There are chances that after a hip replacement surgery, you may face uneven legs i.e., one leg may be shorter than the other. This should be given careful attention by the doctor and attended to with proper care.
So, these are the basic complications, risks, the procedure of the total hip replacement surgery. Sometimes, people don’t pay proper attention towards this problem and after few time they suffer from the problem of huge pain in their back and hips area. This situation makes those people helpless who are unable to move anywhere. That’s why the surgery of total hip replacement has been introduced by modern medical science. As everyone knows that medical science has improved a lot nowadays and is still working on various dangerous diseases to find the best and feasible solution for it.