If you are charged with a domestic violence case, then you need to hire a domestic violence lawyer. An experienced lawyer can collect the information and evidence to provide proper precaution and he/she can negotiate with your opponent to stop charges from being filed. If the charges are filed against you, then your lawyer will represent your case in court.
Domestic violence is a criminal offense and you should take such charges seriously. You can be charged with a hefty penalty or jail time. Apart from that, it will affect your family and your reputation will be ruined. If you have a business, then your business will suffer for your case. It has been seen that many public figures or celebrities are charged by domestic violence cases and their career has been finished by jail time. To prevent such things and keep your interests and reputation safe, you must hire a domestic violence lawyer.
When Would You Hire A Domestic Violence Lawyer?
If you are charged with any domestic violence case, then you must call a lawyer immediately. You can discuss your case and charges with your lawyer, and he/she will keep this conversation confidential. Your domestic violence lawyer will arrange the evidence and guide you in the right manner. It is suggested that you do not disclose anything to your friends and relatives without getting permission from your lawyer. If you give any statement to your friends, then they will be called to the court to testify against you.
Also Read: Lawyer challenges
- There are different types of domestic charges and all of them are treated as a criminal offence. If you face any sexual assault charges, then you must not talk to the police before you appoint a lawyer. Police can ask you several questions in their custody and if you make a wrong statement then you will face jail time. In this case, you must talk to the police in the presence of a domestic violence lawyer.
- You must keep all your evidence secret. For example, you may have some evidence in your phone and social media posts, and you need to keep them confidential. If someone destroys such evidence, then the lawyer cannot prove you as innocent in court. So, keep all your documents including financial statements and credit card bills confidential, and do not share such information with the police without taking permission from your lawyer.
- You should not talk to your opponent who has accused you of domestic violence. Even an apology can make you guilty in court. Sometimes, judges issue no-contact orders against the wrongdoer and you cannot contact anyone in this regard. If you violate this judgment, then the court might also take some disciplinary action.
- Do not try to prove yourself as innocent on social media. It is illegal to post or discuss court cases that are under hearings on public platforms. So, stay away from social media. If you circulate anything on social media, then your opponent can collect such information and save them as evidence. In this case, you should discuss the matter with your domestic violence lawyer only.
- Even, if the accuser withdraws your case then also your court will run the legal processing against you. Domestic violence cases are very complicated in nature and you cannot understand the acts and legal codes of your case. So do not take any risk when you are accused by domestic violence charges and you should hire a skilled domestic violence lawyer.
You can search for such lawyers online and choose an experienced one after checking his/her reviews and past records.